Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help! I am very worried!
Jul 6, 2001

Thanks for answering this question. A while back, I was using a public toilet. As I was in a hurry, I did not check to see how clean the seat was. I was just about to use a piece of toilet paper to clean my genital area dry after reliving myself when I accidently brushed the paper against the toilet seat. I should have stop myself and discard that piece but could not in time and hence applied that piece of paper against my body. I was very worried as it hit upon me that I might catch aids! Is this mode of transmission possible? I checked the seat upon getting up and was mortified to see a dried stain on the seat. It could have been anything, but what if it was as stain of some infectious body fluid like vaginal secretions? I cannot remember if the seat had anything else on it, but my mind keeps conjuring up all possibilities that some infectious fluid had been on the seat and I had exposed myself to them? Like when I would imagine that some infected blood might have been left on the seat but after being wiped away, there would be no obvious signs but the virus could still be living on the surface! Is this possible? How long can the virus survive in this fashion? Can dead virus entering the body cause infection as well? Please help me by answering this question, as silly as it sounds, cause it is causing me alot of worry and pain, that I have even convinced myself that I have HIV infection and it is affecting my daily life as well.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

This is not a mode of transmission. You are not at risk from dried stains on a toilet seat. Even if HIV had been present at one time, it is very fragile. It is a bloodborne virus and cannot survive exposure to heat, light or air. So there is no possibility of contracting the virus from dried stains on a toilet seat.

Previous
personal care home caregivers what to teach them
Next
Are certain professionals required to have HIV tests?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.