Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Disclosure in the work place

I was recently fired from my job. A co-worker told me that my employer told everyone about me being HIV+ when I found out after my husband death in 1995. Do I still have any rights to sue that employer since I didn't give any consent to inform the employees, even though I am no longer a employee there. The reason for my termination is that the company said they were cutting back and didn't need me anymore. They wanted to drop my medical and 401(k), and have me work on Saturdays and on call. I told them I had to speak to a lawyer about it to make sure that my rights where not being violated excepting that they said ok. Within 3days, they told me it isn't going to work, they don't have work for me, and they are going to let me go. But meanwhile, they have an ad posted for a position as an sales associate to work on commision only. This company has been trying to get rid of me, since 1998 when they told me that my positon as sales manager needed to be full-time, and if I could not fullfill that, then I would be let go. I responded with a letter from my doctor explaining my medical condition, and a letter attach to it explain the ADA law, then they left me alone. And now this. Do I have any grounds to sue?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I suggest that you contact an attorney, explain the situation and have him help you determine what your rights are. There is probably a legal aid association in your area that could assist you with this.

Disability income and paying for housing
personal care home caregivers what to teach them