The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Disability income and paying for housing
Jul 5, 2001


If a person is on either short term or permanemt disabilty, and they own there own home (house, co-op or condo), how does one take care of the mortage and maintenace payments. Can somone lose there home?

Regards, Bklyn NY

Response from Ms. Breuer

Dear Bklyn NY,

For someone living on disability income, budgeting for housing remains a responsibility of managing that income. Yes, a person on disability income who does not keep up that obligation could lose a home. But there are steps you can take now to prevent that. Please seek the advice of a benefits counselor at your local AIDS service organization now. There's far less the counselor can do if you wait until you're in trouble on the payments. Thanks for your good question, and good luck.

Problems w/LTD
Disclosure in the work place

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint