WHY CAN'T I RETURN TO WORK AFTER A REQUESTED MEDICAL LEAVE

To All Experts:

I have work as a teacher for the past thirty years. Recently, I began working as a college professor even I have full blown aids (diagnosed in 1998 - my mdications are viracept, videx, zerit and bactrim, plus lorazorpam for anxiety\depression). For the first year, work days were relatively uneventful and productive. The second year, my doctor changed my medication treatment schedules which resulted in many medical side-effects: severe diarherra, overwhelming fatigue, anemia and possible a high risk with resistance. My work productivity was affected --absences and many tardies.

I decided to go on a medical leave. After consulting with personnel and completing the appropriate diability papers, I was released on meidical leave. Befor leaving, I was told that when I got better, I would be able to return to work.

Today, I am better. I want to go back to work. However, I have yet to receive my diability nor will my job rehire me. Do you think my not being rehired has anything to do with my reporting the nature of my illness to state disablility board.

Equally just as important, my doctor has given me the green to go back to work. My job will not reponse to to calls. What do I do now?

Response from Ms. Breuer

With just the information you provide here, it seems that you will make progress toward your goal only by contacting a lawyer who specializes in discrimination related to HIV. Contact your local AIDS service organization for a referral. Sometimes it makes a big difference simply to have a lawyer send a letter to your employer. It will be worth the lawyer's fee to get this done. Your doctor has done what s/he can do by giving you clearance to return to work. It's unlikely that anyone else could help you. Good luck.

STDS
HIV AIDS IN THE WORKPLACE