Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can dried blood contain the virus?
Jun 16, 2001

My husband delivers medical supplies including tables; while moving an old one today they found dried blood on the floor near the legs. Can this blood contain the virus? no on (nurses, his boss's pharmacist girlfriend) seemed too alarmed, but it has me FREAKED out! Should I be?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Dried blood will not contain infectious HIV, which does not survive contact with oxygen. It might contain hepatitis B. But either disease can only harm someone who comes into direct contact with the blood through a fresh cut or a mucous membrane. Activating the hepatitis virus if it's in the blood at all requires moisture and an opening into someone else's bloodstream.

Your husband can take his cue from the nurses. Even wet blood containing HIV, had it been there, would have needed an immediate gateway into your husband's bloodstream to do any harm.

Does that feel better? I hope so. This is one fear you can put to rest.

And since your husband's occupation involves delivering medical supplies, you could increase his protection from hepatitis B by reminding him that any cut on his hands needs to be covered by a bandage before he handles medical supplies. This is a good time to prevent future freaking out over hepatitis!

Previous
LTD Termination after 6 months
Next
first aid, general public

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.