The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Moving from Canada to Amsterdam
Jun 13, 2001

Hello there,

I just read a question about health-insurance in Amsterdam: whether HIV-meds were covered or not. I'm Dutch and I can tell you that if you have Ziekenfonds-verzekering (public health insurance) they will cover all the regular treatments, hospital-visits, check-ups etc. Apart from that you can buy an additional package of health-care to cover for some other expenses as well. To obtain this insurance, however, you have to work under a Dutch contract or have the Dutch Nationality, so your employer pays part of this social security for you and you yourself have to pay the other part, which is deducted from your salary automatically every month. If you work under a foreign (non-EC-contract, you have to buy your private health-insurance, and since these do not accept HIV+ .... So for the person who's moving from Canada to Amsterdam (question 8th June last): don't worry as long as you're having a Dutch contract: the social security will provide you with your public health-insurance (ziekenfonds-verzekering) and they do cover regular HIV-treatments.

By the way, my compliments on your site.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Thank you so much for your time and thorougness in responding. I will post your reply for the original questioner. I appreciate so much your gracious spirit. Thank you for being part of the community of this great site.

Disclose status to prospective business partner?
Doctor's HIV Status

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint