long term/short term disability

I am HIV+ and have been so since 1984. Last year I had my second bout of KS and went on short term disability and applied for SSI benefits thinking I would go on long term disability in March which would have been six months from the initial claim of short term disability. I had 3 months of short term. Well, SSI really screwed up. They accessed the wrong doctors records NOT the one that diagnosed the KS and denied my claim. Feeling completely frustrated, in Feb. I decided to go back to work as I felt much better and my job allowed me to telecommute. The problem I have now is that the meds I'm taking are causing really bad stomach problems and its causing me to have to take time off in the middle of the work day sometimes as much as a couple of hours. I have to maintain 30hrs a week to keep my benefits, and I'm not sure how open they would be to adjusting my hours to accommodate my problems. I'm hoping with time the side effects will work themselves out, but I'm trying to know what options I have. I don't know if I can go on short term again so close to the last time, and I'm even thinking about trying long term again, but I'm worried about that since they denied me last time even though they made errors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You should review the terms of both your short term disability plan and your long term disability plan to determine what the eligibility requirements are to qualify for benefits. As far as Social Security disability benefits are concerned, it is typical for the Social Security Administration to deny benefits on the first application. It often takes repeated applications and the assistance of an attorney or a disability insurance carrier to assist one in obtaining Social Security benefits for disability.

Lynn Franzoi

Lower HIV Limits
Federal (VA) employment