New job disclosure

I have been HIV+ positive for nine years and recently relocated for a new job with a new company in Colorado. I have carried insurance continuously for many years so I am not worried about being denied insurance. Here is the problem, when filling out the new hire paper work I was offered long-term disability insurance. This insurance asked questions of ARC or AIDS and I answered them honestly because I want the insurance. I also had to turn it into the benefits person in the Human Resources Dept. My question is, do I consider this a notification to my new employer? and the kicker is that I also work in Human Resources with the same boss as the benefits person!

Confused in HR

Response from Ms. Breuer

This should not be considered notification because you do not have to advise your employer about your health status. Whatever information you provided on the application form is confidential. The benefits person in HR cannot disclose that information to anyone without your consent.

Time and Laws re Short Term Disability
Compliance with Drugs Working Different Hours (2)