The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Time and Laws re Short Term Disability
Jul 19, 2000

My physician has just placed me on Short Term Disability for HIV related health problems and should only last for 6 weeks but could be extended at the end of the six weeks. My company has just informed me that I have received my last paycheck until my disability payments are received. There seems to be an evasive attitude surrounding the question that I have of my company; the question being "when exactly will I see my first disability check and how much will it be". Because of financial restraints I do not know if I will be able to survive financially and may ask my physician to give me a note to return to work just so I can have some income to pay rent and bills, etc. Are there any references either in hardcopy form or on the internet that will let me view any information that talks about the time frame from when I apply for disability to when my disability income is received "in-hand"? Are there any legal responsibilities by me or my company that I can read with regard to processing my application in a timely manner?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You should ask your Human Resources or Benefits Department for a copy of the summary plan description (SPD) that explains your short term disability (STD) benefits. There will be an SPD if your STD plan is an ERISA plan. If your plan isn't an ERISA plan, ask them for a copy of the employee handbook that explains how your STD plan works.

Lynn Franzoi

insurance when changing jobs
New job disclosure

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint