insurance when changing jobs

I am looking to change jobs and am currently on a group insurance plan. I know that the next job I go to has a group insurance plan. i know that there are issues facing pre-existing conditions, but COBRA and HIPPA are helpful. what should I be checking in the new policy to make sure that I stay covered for my pre-existing condition? if the policy says that I have to wait a year, is it best for me to continue with COBRA as well so that I am covered for that year?

thanks

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If the new plan has a preexisting condition clause (which cannot be greater than 12 months) and you do not have a break in coverage of greater than 63 days, the new plan must recognize your period of coverage under your prior plan towards any preexisting condition clause it has. Example: You have been covered under your current health plan for 2 years and you take a job with a new employer and his plan has a 3-month wait for eligibility and a 12-month preexisting condition clause. You could take COBRA for the 3 months until you quality for the new plan. Because you have more than 12 months of coverage under a prior plan without a break in coverage, the new plan would have to recognize that coverage towards its 12-month preexisting condition clause and you would have no preexisting condition period. You should obtain a Certificate of Creditable Coverage from your current employer to provide to your new employer in the event that the new employer's plan has a preexisting condition clause. You should review the new employer's plan to see if there are any exclusions or limits on HIV-related illnesses.

Lynn Franzoi

Spouse HIV+; I want to Change Jobs
Time and Laws re Short Term Disability