not guilty as charged

I am HIV positive and am on medications. I am also a recovering alcoholic and addict. I attend a day program for substance abuse and am tested regularly for substances. I have frequently tested positive for Marijuana, but I have not used this substance for over a year or any other for over 6 months. I am curently and have been taking the following meds: Acyclovir, Sustiva, Combivir, Dapsone, Zithromax, Vit. C, and Multi Vit.. My question is, do you have any knowledge of any of these meds. causing a positive test result for Marijuana. -please e.mail at ...

Response from Dr. Cohen

Well - as it turns out - Sustiva or Efavirenz, also known as Stocrin overseas - can result in a false positive test for marijuana - on Some but not All testing methods. In order to handle this however, you may have to be willing to "out" yourself to whoever is doing the testing - since there are no other drugs I know of that can create such a false positive reading. So you can, hopefully, tell them you on are on a medication that requires that they use a different brand of test. The people in labs who actually do the tests should know about this and be able to use an alternative method that does not result in a false positive when Sustiva is there.

But it means revealing your HIV status - since this is the only med, and HIV is the only reason to be on it. Hopefully that is not an additional issue in the way for you... PS - your email address came thru but I posted this here hoping it would be seen by you and the many others for whom this issue can be relevant. Cal Cohen

blood drop survival outside the environment
Medical Questionnaire (2)