Going on Disability

My partner was diagnosed with AIDS and PCP in July of 99. He was off work 3 weeks for recovery. Upon his arrival back to work, his boss gave him 'light work' for another 2 weeks. My partner works for a small, independently owned trucking company. He disclosed his status to his boss, the company owner, who has been wonderful. My partner has his health insurance through the company, but no disability insurance.

Here's the question/dilemma. My partner's health has been declining. His position requires physical dock work, driving a truck, and delivery of freight. This has exhausted him. He wants to approach his boss about possibly cutting back hours &/or changing job duties. What steps should he take BEFORE

Response from Ms. Breuer

Great question. I would recommend that he meet with his physician to talk about what reasonable accommodations, if any, might make it possible for him to do his job or another job at the same company. When the suggestions for reasonable accommodation come from the doc, not only the employee, the employer is more likely to believe that they're appropriate and could solve the problem.

If there is no accommodation that makes it possible to fulfill all of the essential functions of any job at the company, then your partner has limited options. They would include: 1. finding a less physically demanding job with another employer 2. filing for Social Security disability coverage

I wish there were more choices. If a reader knows of more, please write in.

Using health insurance with new company
Depressed, Should I get a LAWYER?