HIV DISCRIMINATION IN FLORIDA

I HAVE A RELATIVE WHO WAS RECENTLY FIRED IN FLORIDA. I WAS WONDERING WHAT ARE THE LAWS THAT APPLY IN FLORIDA REGARDING EMPLOYMENT AND TERMINATION?

Response from Ms. Breuer

First, for laws specific to one state, the best source is a discrimination lawyer practicing in that state. Please contact your local AIDS service organization for a referral. There may even be an attorney on staff to help you with this kind of question.

Second, as I understand it, federal anti-discrimination law trumps state law, and firing solely on the basis of a real or perceived disability would be a violation of the ADA. But it's hard to prove. Please contact a local attorney to learn more about how to proceed in your state.

impacts of aids
When to disclose to an employer--if at all