Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can i be a dentist?
Jun 8, 2001

hi, i am female, 18 yrs old and hiv+. i am a freshman in college and trying to decide what i want to do with the rest of my life. i was thinking about dental school, can i do this? will i have to tell the school i apply to, and will i have to tell my patients? would it maybe be possible to specialize in dentistry with hiv+ individuals? i have thought about this a lot, and of course i wouldn't want to put anyone at risk, but this is something i think i may want to pursue, and i would rather not have hiv hold me back. i of course know that there is an extremely low chance of transmission, but my parents think it is weird that i would choose anything with even the slightest chance. i guess i do too, but i am really interested in the medical field, and want to help people, so i just want some imput. thanks for your time.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Your best, clearest answer is going to come from the dental licensing board in your state. We surely need more dentists willing to work with HIV positive patients, so I wish you well. Heck, I wish you well in general. Look up the board in the phone book. Or call your dentist's office, explain that you're thinking of dental school, and ask for the number of the state board. Good luck!

Previous
Should I say yes?
Next
Must I tell employer of +

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.