Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I say yes?
Jun 8, 2001

Hi,

I am HIV positive. Doing well on medication for over 2 years. I am going through the process of starting a new job. Filled out application that was accepted. Drug test was okay. Here is the big question on the medical form I am afraid to inform the personnel services of my HIV status. The question below is what I have to answer. Morally, I know I should say yes. Yet, I feel that I will be discriminated against if I do answer truthfully. What kind of ramifications could I face if I said no besides getting fired? It is a government position.

Question on form asks: Do you have a medical condition for which you are currently being treated, (past year) excluding colds or flu? This includes treatment for drug and/or alcohol abuse. Answer YES if you are currently receiving prescription medications from a medical provider or require routine follow up for any medical condition. If Yes to question must have doctor complete form describing the onset of condition month/yr. diagnosis, evaluation (copies of reports of lab studies, x-ray reports, etc.) Treatment plan

Sorry for the long question. Thanks for all your help.

Response from Ms. Breuer

What an outrageous question! Because the government often exempts itself from laws that govern other employers, this may actually be legal, although hardly bright. I would recommend an honest answer, then strategizing with your treating physician to be sketchy and vague in the reply. Generally the penalties for lying on such forms are worse than the consequences of giving mealy-mouthed answers.

I'd go mealy-mouthed on this one. I hope it's a dynamite job. Do you really want to work for these people?

Previous
HIV and moving to Amsterdam
Next
can i be a dentist?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.