Should I say yes?

I am HIV positive. Doing well on medication for over 2 years. I am going through the process of starting a new job. Filled out application that was accepted. Drug test was okay. Here is the big question on the medical form I am afraid to inform the personnel services of my HIV status. The question below is what I have to answer. Morally, I know I should say yes. Yet, I feel that I will be discriminated against if I do answer truthfully. What kind of ramifications could I face if I said no besides getting fired? It is a government position.

Question on form asks: Do you have a medical condition for which you are currently being treated, (past year) excluding colds or flu? This includes treatment for drug and/or alcohol abuse. Answer YES if you are currently receiving prescription medications from a medical provider or require routine follow up for any medical condition. If Yes to question must have doctor complete form describing the onset of condition month/yr. diagnosis, evaluation (copies of reports of lab studies, x-ray reports, etc.) Treatment plan

Sorry for the long question. Thanks for all your help.

Response from Ms. Breuer

What an outrageous question! Because the government often exempts itself from laws that govern other employers, this may actually be legal, although hardly bright. I would recommend an honest answer, then strategizing with your treating physician to be sketchy and vague in the reply. Generally the penalties for lying on such forms are worse than the consequences of giving mealy-mouthed answers.

I'd go mealy-mouthed on this one. I hope it's a dynamite job. Do you really want to work for these people?

HIV and moving to Amsterdam
can i be a dentist?