Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

was it discrimination?
Jun 8, 2001

Well I am a 36 year old hiv + female. When I found out I was hiv + I was 2 1/2 months pregnant. I shared with I couple of friends at work about my situation and privacy was not a issue. I had discussed my problem with my employer which was very caring and understanding. Told me what ever I needed he was there for me. When I start my meds I became very ill. Missed alot of work my employer said he understood. After a month of meds I straighten out and got in to the groove of work again. I didnot miss the whole month aday here and there. Well I went on bed rest in my 5 month of pregnancy so I took family medical leave. Babies born 2 months early and when it was time for me to come back. He told me that with all my doctors appt. and the twins that he thought coming back to work would be to difficult for me. Said he could give me an every weekend position. I was a supervisor for 12 years at this place and now he wanted me to work for one of my employees as a line staff. He would not let me come back to my current job part-time at first then go fulltime. He needed some one that is going to be 100 percent committed. I figured 12 years of committment wasn't good enough. So I just resigned. Was I dooped. What can I do?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Generally, the employer cannot make assumptions about how "committed" an employee is based on diagnosis or number of babies! I urge you to contact an attorney through your local AIDS services organization. Often those services are free. Good luck.

To help anyone else in a similar situation who is reading this answer, please let me urge you to seek help BEFORE you resign. It's harder to be reinstated if you've quit.

Previous
Insurance for One HIV+ EMPLOYEE
Next
HIV disclosure during probationary period

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.