Was denied the opportunity to study

Hello, I am a female with AIDS for 14 years, a couple of months ago I applied for a phlebotomist class and was denied because I have AIDS. The same thing happened at a college I applied to be a nursing assistant. Is this legal from their side? Thank you for your answer.I live in California.

Response from Ms. Breuer

How did they learn of your infection? Did they tell you that your diagnosis was the reason for your denial? Your question doesn't tell us enough about the situation to be able to give a good answer.

Could the denial in the phlebotomy situation be based on local practices concerning HIV and invasive procedures? In other words, are all HIV-positive applicants denied jobs doing phlebotomy because of perceived risk to the patient? The nursing assistant denial makes no sense to me at all, so I'm wondering what you would learn if you returned to those schools and asked for help understanding the denials.

Ratio of infected people
Insurance for One HIV+ EMPLOYEE