PLEASE HELP

I found out my brother is hiv+ three months ago after He was diagnosed whith Toxoplasmosis.He was hospitalized for four weeks and treated for this opportunistic infection and released with medications I guess for no recurrence of Toxoplasmosis. Now for the last two months He has been suffering fevers,and a cough that would not go away He was tested with a spit test, TB,x rays and everything came back negative,He also has been suffering with diarrhea He had a feces test which was also negative but after two months it won't stop and the worse is that for the last days He does not have an appetite and so He is not eating also He feels weak and pain in the body. If all the tests are coming negative what's wrong are the doctors giving up on him? and not doing enough search of some kind of infection? He leaves in South America. Please advice me,He wants to live longer and so does the family. Thank you so much!! DSIDC

Sounds like a tough situation. Does he have access to antiretroviral therapy. That would be important in order to improve his immune system and nutrition enough for him to be better protected from AIDS related problems. Many of the symptoms you describe are due to either AIDS itself or one of its many complications. Some of the problems are very tough to resolve inthe absence of effective anti-HIV therapy. Ordinarily in the US we might consider doing a bronchoscopy (putting a tube into the lung and washing it out) in order to make a diagnosis of what is going on there. We would do a similar test with the colon if we couldn't pinpoint the cause of the diarrhea by stool examinations. KH

Potential Infection of health care workers
vaginal fluid