Entering US to work

I read with interest your comments from Nov, 2000 to "help a foreign" regarding health coverage for this person. I was under the understanding that HIV+ individuals were officially not permitted entry into the US at all, for work or pleasure. I don't know how often they actually check, but I believe this is the official stance. I have several friends who will not even vacation in the US because they are afraid of being denied entry (I realize the irony in that they are essentially carrying out the policy on their own).

Are you aware of changes in immigration laws for work purposes? I would love to come work in the US for a period of time as a travelling nurse, but never thought I had the option.

Look forward to your response,

Curious Canadian Nurse

Response from Dr. Boyle

As I understand the law, persons living with HIV are still barred from immigrating or entering the US.

Restrictions on entry
Potential Infection of health care workers