Concerned Manager of HIV+ Employee

Hello. I recently hired an HIV+ person into my department. I knew of his status due to the fact that several people in the Company were familiar with him, and therefore told me about his status while I was in the interview process with him. Regardless, I made the determination that he was a good candidate for the position and happily brought him on board. I am feeling some discomfort in the fact that we have never spoken of his positive status. I feel that it is probably inappropriate for me to inquire out of respect for him to maintain his privacy and determine his own comfort level regarding speaking of his diagnosis. On the other hand, I don't want him to think that this is a secret he needs to keep from me which might cause him additional stress or discomfort at work. I guess I just want him to know that I'm aware of his HIV diagnosis and that I'm concerned both about his health and about providing him a supportive and non-threatening environment at work.

Is there any appropriate way for me to introduce the subject, or is the ball totally in his court? I appreciate your feedback.

-- Concerned Manager

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I think your company is fortunate to have a person like you in a management postion. I am sure that the compassion and caring you demonstrate in this question is an example of how you work and how you treat people who work for you. I am sure that this employee, if he hasn't already realized this, will know that you will be supportive of him, if the need arises. Therefore, I would not approach him. It would be inappropriate for you to bring this up. Wait for him to tell you.

HEALTH INSURANCE
HIV + and Sick Days