I am stuck

I know the over flow of request that you must receive must be great but I am wondering if you can help me answer a question. I recently moved to the NC area and found myself without insurance. I have applied for self coverage and found out they do not treat pre-existing conditons. I have been postive now for the last 13 years with no problems I would like to keep it that way. However because I can not get insurance I am unable to get medication. even at my job there is the same clause. what can I do to get insurance.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am confused by the situation here. If you had coverage before, HIPAA requires that a group medical plan would have to recognize your period of prior coverage toward any pre-existing condition period. Furthermore, a pre-existing condition clause can only disallow coverage for that particular illness for a period of 12 months and they must recognize prior coverage towards that 12 month period unless you went 63 days without coverage. You need a Certificate of Creditable Coverage from your prior insurance. In addition, if you haven't gone more than 63 days without coverge, you would be eligible for a HIPAA plan.

preference for optimal workplace conditions
changing companies