Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cobra over, What next!
Jun 2, 2001

Cobra expires soon, have good coverage until Nov. What next, Medicare and local county treatments? That is all I can find and that is SCARY! Medicare does not offer the drug coverage that I need to stay alive and neither does county facilities. Any suggestions? I am currently being treated for CMV and KS.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am assuming that you have qualified for Social Security disability and therefore will qualify for Medicare once you have been disabled for 29 months. If this is the case, you will be able to assign your Medicare benefits to an HMO and that HMO will typically have some prescritpion drug coverage. Although there are non-HMO medical plans that coordinate with Medicare, I have found that they do not offer this coverage if the disabled person is under age 65. If you are under age 65, you will probably have to check with an HMO. If you are not Medicare eligible, you might be able to convert your COBRA into a conversion policy or you would be eligible for a HIPAA policy.

Previous
self-insured limits disclosure
Next
preference for optimal workplace conditions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.