+Nurse, insurance, and discrimination

Health insurance through my employer, is everything totally confidential, esp. the meds? Can an insurance company drop me? I work in an ER as a nurse, can I be discriminated against? What if I change jobs, am I obligated to tell of my status? Could I be refused the job secondary to my status? Help, brand new at this and very scared.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Medical information is confidential. The employer and administrator, if self-insured, and the insurer, if insured, know that they must keep this information confidential. Discrimination based on health status is illegal. If you are discriminated against because of your HIV status, seek legal advice. If you change jobs, you have no obligation to disclose your HIV Status. An employer does not have to offer you a job. There might be someone more qualified for it or someone who is a better fit in the position and that person might get the job instead of you. However, you cannot be denied a job merely because you are HIV positive.

Testing before/after insurance begins?
regarding federal employee health insurance