Testing before/after insurance begins?

Dear ladies,

I started working in January this year so my medical insurance doesn't start until late May this year. I had an possible exposure in early February this year so by the time I get ready to get tested (at three months after, i.e., early May) I won't be covered by any insurance company.

I am afraid that if I do that and turn out HIV+ it'll be a pre-existing condition and I won't get any insurance for my HIV meds in case I turn HIV+.

Should I then wait until after my insurance starts to get tested?

Thank you very much for your help and God bless you and every one on The Body. Although my risk is considered low I feel extremely nervous and scared and thanks again for your help.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Even if the medical plan has a pre-existing condition clause and you test positive for HIV, the plan will only be able to exclude the treatment for HIV-related illnesses for a period of 12 months. However, if you wait until after your medical coverage begins before getting tested or you get tested anonymously and if the result is positive, you do not contact a doctor until you coverage is effective, no pre-existing condition clause will aply to you under the plan.

Legal Question
+Nurse, insurance, and discrimination