Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible HIV Exposure in Workplace
Jun 2, 2001

I work in a physicians office doing billing. The other day the Doctor asked me to empty the trash cans since needles are put in sharps containers I though it would be ok. However, when emptying one of the trash cans I found a bandaid with blood on it. I had a large paper cut on my thumb and I got very upset that I could have been exposed to the HIV virus. However, I immediately washed my hands with professional soap. I asked the doctor and he told me I was being silly that I could not have been exposed. He would not even give me a Hepatitis test. However, I called the CDC Aids Hotline and they said that the virus takes a few hours to be completely dried up and the virus can't be transmitted then. They advised me to get tested for HIV in 3 months and then in 3 months after that. Should I get a Hepatitis test too? Are they correct. Does the virus die as soon as it hits the air. The doctor I work for refuses to give me tests for HIV or Hepatitis. Thank you.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I would follow what the CDC suggested.

Previous
Change in Health Insurance Premiums
Next
HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.