Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Attendence effecting internal transfer
Jun 2, 2001

Hope you can help. I have been employed 12 years at a major US bank. For the past Twelve years of employment I have received the best performance rating that 1 can have. Over this period of time I have had some 1 to 2 week absences every year or so due to Broncitis or flu, these were all ways covered with a doctors note and was never an issue on performance rating nor have I ever been spoken to about it. Nov 99 I was diagnois with HIV and had to take the month of Dec off adjusting to meds and just use my banked sick time that had accrued. Now I am trying to apply for Similar jobs areas at the bank that I am fully quailied for and have been told that they thought I had all the qualifications but that they didn't want to accept the transfer with an attendance issue problem. I feel that I am beeing disciminated against. Not once has this attendance issue been raised and now I feel that I am trapped an not able to grow my carrer at the bank because of this and know my new dissability that they do not know about. What are your feelins? Thank you so much for all your time and advice.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I would set up a meeting with the head of HR to discuss the situation. Be armed with your job qualifications, your attendance record which has been good except for this one extended leave due to a documented illness and ask her/him to give you a chance to make this move on a probationary basis (for 3 to 6 months). If they agree, do your best to demonstrate to them through your work performance why they made the right choice.

Previous
HIV+ asymptomatics and workfare/welfare
Next
HIV POS TERMINATED DUE TO POS URINE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.