Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Self-Insured Plans and Disclosure
Jun 1, 2001

Thanks in advance for your time. My employer is self-insured. When they apply to insurance companies in attempts to be covered by an insurance company, they have employees complete a medical questionnaire. Of course, one of the questions is about HIV/AIDS. It has been stated several times on this forum that such information is to be held in the strictest of confidence by the HR Director. I am on the inside and know for a fact that this information is often disclosed without consent from the employee. These questionnaires are often discussed by upper management. It is often the case that self-insured organizations are usually smaller. This situation lends itself to the sharing of information because the HR Director interacts more with upper management. In addition, upper management is looking for ways to not be self-insured due to the cost of paying claims. An HR Director would certainly win brownie points by making this information known. My point is, in a perfect world, this information should be confidential, but unfortunately in many cases, it is shared. I cannot help but think somehow this information eventually effects the employee's future. A few questions. Is it not illegle for an employer to ask you of your HIV status? Is asking this not a violation of special Human Rights laws? Is requiring employees to complete these questionnaires not in some way a violation of that persons right to confidentiality in regards to HIV/AIDS? In essence, the employer is asking the question. What would be the consequences of just not answering honestly if you are aware of this information being shared inappropriately? In terms of utilization reviews and third parties revealing the information to your employer, in my state it is my understanding that the disclosure of the positive result of an HIV Anti-body test is against the law. Even though disclosing the diagnosis is technically different from the disclosure of a positive test, the end result is the same. Your employer knows. Is there not someway to protect yourself from this situation? If you did find yourself without a job after your employer found out about your health status, what courses of action should the employee take? What are the most common outcomes of such a situation?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I would question the employer's need to know any medical information. You are right that the employer has a legal obligation to keep this confidential. If it is not, or it is unfairly used against an employee, the employee would have the right to take action. If this were to occur, I would suggest contacting an attorney to determine your rights.

Previous
Working in Europe
Next
Insurance Co. Disclosed to Employer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.