The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Inheritance & SSI
Jun 1, 2001

I'm on SSI in California, & my mother wants to leave me her house in South Carolina. I've been told I should set up a "special needs trust" & leave have my mother leave the house to the trust to liquidate without affecting my benefits. I can't find any information on special needs trusts. Can you give me some basic info on these and any other methods to inherit a house (I will probably liquidate it for cash rather than move to South Carolina) without affecting my benefits. My mother has no other significant assets.

Thanks for this excellent new forum.


Response from Mr. Berg

While I'm not the public/governmental benefits expert, this really isn't a SSI question per se, You need to get expert legal advise. I suggest you start off by contacting your local elder law center for assistnce or referral. You could try your local AIDS Service Organization for a legal referral, but it may be outside the scope of their services.

back to work+buy medicare
New job and Hiv+

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint