Employer failed to pay insurance premiums

My former employer failed to pay insurance premiums for employees life and disability policies. My employer is now bankrupt. I have been disabled since 1999 and am unable to get help from any source. The insurance company says coverage was cancelled (the same month my claim was made!), the Dept. of Labor sounded interested a year ago, but nothing ever happens. I have a lawyer who seems to be less than motivated, but at least he took my case. Any suggestions?

Response from Mr. Berg

Unfortunately, I'm stumped. If the Department of Labor and a private attorney aren't getting anywhere with your case, I don't have any better suggestions or referrals for you.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I think you are doing the right thing, using a lawyer to pursue this. If you were in the elimination period for the long term disability coverage at the time the employer went bankrupt, you should still be eleigible to get the coverage. You need to have the attorney pursue this with the insurance company. Also, you shold apply for Social Security disability.

Who's in charge: Dr. or Insurance
Health Insurance Coverage