The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dec 1, 2015

I have been living with HIV > 25 years, I am married and covered under my spouse employer health plan but now am pending a divorce. I am a veteran and with this divorce I will have a significantly lower income as spousal support as I have not worked for about 7 years. I have recently changed my HIV medications due to a viral load increase and am concerned about paying for and achieving these new antiresistance HIV medications as they are so expensive. I am moving to Massachusetts in December. I know I will have access to my spouse employer health plan for awhile until the divorce finalizes. I am worried about medication access. Should I start with the VA? I am not sure I can afford the monthly premiums for health insurance.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I would certainly start with the VA to see if they are able to provide your healthcare.

Also, by losing your insurance, you will qualify for a plan under the Affordable Care Act, and with lower income, the government may pick up a portion of the premiums, a large portion if your income is low enough.

Also, each state has an AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADA), and an individual with an income of less than $88,850/year can qualify for it. Each state operates its own program and the formularies and other provisions can vary. You can get more information on it from their website, here. here.

Êàê îáàâèòü ñàçó íñêîüêî ñòîê â excel
Please List the Current Life Insurance Companys that cover HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint