Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

I am a surgeon, and i found out to be hiv positive

I am a vascular surgeon, and i found out to be hiv positive some yrs ago. After finding, i was so shocked and i started being depressed. I went on working and I was so depressed I never thought about the ethic problem. Now I am on meds, I am good, labs are ok. Now that I know I m gonna live for some time, I feel terrified by the fact I can infect my pts, but I am scared of loosing job and being discriminated forever . Can I still work as surgeon even if i am undetectable? Should I disclose my status to pts and employer? will i be fired immediately? Don t know what to do. Please help me .

Response from Mr. Chambers

Invasive surgery is one specialty that may have restrictions for doctors that are HIV+. However, the rules vary by state.

I encourage you to check the sites of your state's medical board, medical association, and specialty board. Each should publish requirements as well as restrictions and limitations.

Keep in mind, should there be restrictions and although it would not be the same, your expertise can still be put to good use through teaching, consulting and practicing in other fields.

Good luck, Jacques

High Initial Viral Load
Wasting Symdrome?