Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Pregnant and Hiv + partner

Hello Dr After we got married immediately i came to know that my husband is hiv positive so he is on ART from five years, in these 5 years i was busy In india doing my masters and he is in u.s.a, we never had any physical touch or contact never had intercourse for threat of passing the virus.. we are in touch only by phone and internet. Last year i moved to him and then we had intercourse to have a baby and i am conceived now. I am scheduled for a first pre natal visit in a few days. The problem is: we are from karnataka, india. Living in Texas,U.S on his work visa and i am on dependent visa. We had insurence coverages from his employer. We never disclosed his hiv status here in u.s, he is taking his medications from india only. He may have got it from his ex girlfriend when he dont know she is positive, later diagnosed as positive. I dont have any other sex partner other than my husband in my entire life. We had intercourse for the first time when his viral load is undetectable.

We are in fear that his hiv status may effect his work visa or status etc. 1.Now i am pregnant first time going for blood tests and so, in case if i am positive is it a must to test my husband? I dont want him get tested as i know he is a positive and i dont want my lovely husband exposed as hiv positive in u.s as we are planning to stay here in u.s for some more years. 2. If i am positive i am aware that i need to start medication for the baby safety, question is are there any problems regarding my insurance provider? Do they stop my coverage or my husbands? I heard that in u.s hiv positives wont get any support from insurance agencies. 3. Am i risking myself and my husband by going to doctor in u.s? Is it a better idea for me to go back to india and get medications there like my husband and come back later and continue my status just like before? 4. Is it going to effect our insurance and visa status if we are stated as hiv positive? Please help me with these questions as i am getting depressed thinking about these issues. We both are well educated and leading a very healthy life and we are following all the safety measures. We are not harmful to any one. Please help me.. Thanks in advance

Response from Mr. Chambers

As long as you are in the U.S. with permission, the fact that you and/or he are HIV+ should make no difference.

You definitely should tell your doctors about this as even if you test positive, it is still possible to have a healthy baby.

As has been the law for the past few years, health insurance companies cannot ask medical questions about new enrollees, and must accept everyone eligible to apply regardless of their health status.

You all should be OK. Good luck and congratulations.

Employer Charges Incorrect COBRA Premium
getting married and disability issues