Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Physicians with hiv!!

Hi, I am an IMG (international medical graduate) intending to take the USMLE exams to get into a residency program in the U.S. Do you know if the programs have specific politics about physicians with HIV? If once you get a position in a residency program do they make a hiv screening test as part of a pre employment background? Thanks!

Response from Mr. Chambers

It is my understanding that only medical positions that involve invasive treatment may have restrictions on HIV+ providers, and that is not even uniform throughout the country.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), you cannot be required to take a pre-employment physical exam until a firm job offer has been made. The result of the exam cannot be used to rescind the job offer unless it shows you are unable to perform the job duties. Again, that might occur if you are applying for a position that requires performing surgery or other invasive procedures, and even that varies by employer and state medical boards. Pre-employment exams should not include an HIV test, but will require you to list all medications you are taking.

HIV and Negotiating Blood Tests for a New Job (Editor's Pick)
Should I Cover My Partner's HIV Med Costs? (Editor's Pick)