Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Applying for a position onboard a cruiseship

I am looking for a position on a cruiseship. My question here would be if a well controlled sickle cell anemia is a reason to be turned dow if I apply?

Response from Mr. Chambers

The unhappy answer is "it depends." First, many ships and ship lines are not U.S. domiciled so they can avoid U.S. laws. U.S. has the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) which prevents companies from refusing to hire someone because of a disability. As long as you can perform the job duties, you are eligible to be hired. This is why an employer cannot require a pre-employment physical exam until a firm job offer has been made. The physical can only state you can perform the job duties.

Cruise lines can be different besides being based outside the U.S. While on board, the line must provide for your health care. Naturally, they would like to avoid that expense if possible.

When applying, research the line to see where it is based and learn more about it overall. Be aware during the interview process, they may try to get information you should not have to and should not mention.

Jacques

HIV working in medical field
HIV-Related "Joking" at Work (Editor's Pick)