Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

insurance premium increase

If I switch to a smaller workplace in California of say less than 50 people, would I (due to HIV meds etc) cause a big hike to my new employer's health insurance? If so, my concern is that it would be pretty easy for my new employer to figure out I'm the cause of the big premium increase. Thanks in advance.

Response from Mr. Chambers

It would depend on what insurance the employer has. I seriously doubt that it is self-funded, which might be a problem in rare instances.

I don't know of any insurance carrier that still experience rates groups that small, although it was done in the past. As long as your group's experience is pooled with lots of other groups, which I believe it will be, there is no way the employer will know about your claims.

Advice on Having HIV and Getting a U.S. Work Visa (Editor's Pick)
"Key Person" Life Insurance and HIV Disclosure (Editor's Pick)