Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Do hospitals in Thailand share HIV patient information?

I live and work in Thailand (legally), and I receive HIV Meds from a public hospital at reasonable costs & the service is great. Recently the company owner attempted to get all employees (local & foreigners) medical insurance & social security. I had the latter before. A few days ago I was informed my applications were turned down due to "a medical issue". Nobody knows I'm hiv+ , except the public hospital. And I took no HIV nor blood test for the application. Shall I assume that is the "issue"? If " yes", HOW did the insurers find out? Would the hospitals in Thailand disclose such information to insurers?

Response from Mr. Chambers

I have found nothing in Thai law that restricts medical confidentiality comparable to our HIPAA law, so I am not sure how they learned of your condition. Did you answer any health questions at all when applying for the insurance? If so, listing medications or other clues could have alerted the carrier. Plus, there are provisions which permit courts to require release of such information.

I have also seen several blog entries from Thai residents complaining about the informality with which medical information is needlessly shared with others by medical staff.

I would encourage you to go to this link on our site. One of the AIDS Service Organizations in Thailand should be able to give you more information. this link on our site.

Good luck, Jacques

Combovir questions
Alcohol with medication