Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Working in the Dental Hygiene field

I'm looking into finishing my education and was considering going into the Dental field. Looking at the university's program description I noticed that they mentioned a strict compliance related to blood borne illness. Would being HIV positive prevent me from studying or working in the field?

Response from Mr. Chambers

It should not be impediment to your goal. All medical personnel, including dental, are trained in the use of Universal precautions. The purpose is to prevent any possible transmission of fluids either direction from patient to provider as well as provider to patient.

If you want to double check, just in case some antiquated rule is in place in your area, check the guidelines for the association, guild, or union of Dental Hygienists in your state or area. If it is like most, their website and literature should specifically address that issue.

Good luck in your career, Jacques

Is Cigna violating HIPAA law?
Insurance