Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Accepting a healthcare job.
Nov 11, 2014

I am a 32 year old woman and has recently learned about my contraction of hiv. I have finished nursing school and passed my boards. I have been offered a position in the clinic in which I did my internship. I would like to keep it private, am I obligated to tell them before accepting the job?

Response from Mr. Chambers

I assume you are trained in Universal Precautions when working. This not only protects you from patient conditions, but also protects patients. Practice it completely.

State law varies regarding HIV persons working in medical fields, however, as more has been learned about HIV transmission, there are fewer and fewer restrictions. Some states may still be concerned about HIV+ persons performing invasive procedures, but that is about it.

Check with your state nursing board's website to see if there are any restrictions. If there are, your work application should include a question about your status. If there are not restrictions, such a question would be prohibited. Do not answer the question until you know it is being legally asked. You do not need to volunteer that information unless it is legally asked.

I seriously doubt that this will be an impediment to working.

Good luck in your new job. Jacques

Previous
Attempting to get stabilized
Next
"Extra Help" from the SSA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.