Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Accepting a healthcare job.

I am a 32 year old woman and has recently learned about my contraction of hiv. I have finished nursing school and passed my boards. I have been offered a position in the clinic in which I did my internship. I would like to keep it private, am I obligated to tell them before accepting the job?

Response from Mr. Chambers

I assume you are trained in Universal Precautions when working. This not only protects you from patient conditions, but also protects patients. Practice it completely.

State law varies regarding HIV persons working in medical fields, however, as more has been learned about HIV transmission, there are fewer and fewer restrictions. Some states may still be concerned about HIV+ persons performing invasive procedures, but that is about it.

Check with your state nursing board's website to see if there are any restrictions. If there are, your work application should include a question about your status. If there are not restrictions, such a question would be prohibited. Do not answer the question until you know it is being legally asked. You do not need to volunteer that information unless it is legally asked.

I seriously doubt that this will be an impediment to working.

Good luck in your new job. Jacques

Attempting to get stabilized
"Extra Help" from the SSA