Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Health Insurance Disclosure Through Mail

I've been on a Medicare Advantage Plan since about 2011. I recently switched to Blue Chip for Medicare at the beginning of the year specifically so that one of my existing doctors would be In Network. The insurance company has been a nightmare to deal with from day one. But to avoid going off track, I'll stick to my latest concern which just popped up today. I live in a 25 unit apartment building, and it's not unusual for mail to end up in the wrong mailbox when temporary carriers fill in for the regular postal carrier. I received my Prescription Benefits Summary today and noticed that as of June 1st, Blue Cross has started to list "Aids Drug Assistance Program" as picking up the co pay on some of my medication. It's noted 6 times in the summary. Prior to June 1st those same co pays had been documented as "Paid by Other Payer" in the exact same summary and all mailed documents previous. This piece of mail could have easily ended up in somebody else's hands that may have not been so up standing as to not open it. The mail was not marked confidential in any way. This seems like a clear violation of privacy and confidentiality.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I appreciate your concern and I agree, it does appear to go too far.

There are several sources of medication payments that Medicare Part D plans will count the same as Out-of-Pocket payments toward reaching the Catastrophic Level of coverage, and AIDS Drug Assistance Program is one of them. Generally, this is done as you described prior to June 1, at least on the reports I have seen.

While you may be able to interest a legal advocacy organization in your state to get Blue Cross to revise its forms, keep in mind that the Part D Medication law does require the monthly reports to name each medication. Probably in your list, there are medications that, if someone wanted to look them up, would clearly show they are used for HIV infection.

Being a benefits specialist and not an attorney, I am copying in a legal expert who may wish to expand on my comments.

Good Luck, Jacques

Cobra or Obamacare
HIV Medication Disclosure