Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medicare Advantage Plans HIV+
Jul 8, 2014

I am 60 yrs old and have been HIV+ for 30 yrs. Currently have medicare as primary due to being on LTD. I live in Florida. Is it possible to get a Medicare Advantage plan when not yet 65? If so are any designed specifically for HIV+ people or are any better than others for my case?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Under federal law, a Medicare Advantage Plan must accept any person who has both Parts A and B of Medicare and are not in a nursing home or suffering from End Stage Renal Disease. Generally, this election must be done during the Open Enrollment Period which is every autumn.

In some locations, there are Special Needs Medicare Advantage Plans and a few are focused on HIV+ persons. I do not know if there are such plans in Florida, but if you seek a health plan at www.medicare.gov you will be able to see what is offered in Florida. www.medicare.gov

I believe AIDS Healthcare Foundation has clinics in Florida. They may offer something for Medicare beneficiaries.

Previous
Oral swab test is negative over a year after possible exposure, but I have symptoms
Next
can i get HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.