Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will I qualify for social security disability?
Jun 28, 2014

I have been Positive since 1984 (I'm in a study). Before we had good meds my CD4 count went below 200 so I have had an AIDS diagnosis since the early 90's. I am fortunate in that I have good insurance, and I have never had an OI.

I took a regular retirement from a federal job based on over 30 years of work and took another full time position. I am now 61 years old.

Unfortunately I have developed many complications, including diabetes, neuropathy, lipodystrophy, significant fatigue, depression, and decreased bone density. It has become difficult for me to sustain full time work.

Do you think that I would qualify for social security disability based on these and other symptoms?

Thanks for your help.

Response from Mr. Chambers

That is one of the toughest questions to answer. First, your age helps; since SSDI looks to see if there is ANY job you can do, based on your age, they won't look at jobs that you don't have experience or already have training in.

Regarding your medical condition, SSDI doesn't care about an AIDS diagnosis nor T-Cell counts or viral loads. They are really only interested in symptoms that are severe enough to prevent you from working. Subjective symptoms such as fatigue and neuropathy can be difficult since they can't be shown in a lab test so they should be well documented. Having a therapist and/or medication can help document depression.

The key is that all your symptoms be noted in detail in the medical record, with comments on severity and frequency along with any anecdotes that illustrate how they limit your ability to function. You should go to the Immune Systems Listing of Impairments. Listing of Impairments.

It will give you information on what SSDI looks for to document your systems.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Pre-existing condition and job change?
Next
Lose SSD during extended travel

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.