Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

boss invading privacy?

I had a private conversation with a friend from work and my boss tried to get him to tell her what we talked about but he refused. She then took me into her office and repeatedly asked me what was going on and tried to get me to talk. I told her several times i didn't want to talk to her but she kept pushing the subject and it made me really upset. I got up and ran out of her office and she tried twice more to get 2 of my coworkers to tell them what i had talked about with this one employee. I feel violated. Is this legal for her to push the matter?

Response from Mr. Chambers

I'm not sure I have enough information to say one way or another. Was your boss looking for any specific information? Was she asking pointed questions as if she knew or had an idea of what information she was looking for?

If so, you should find a legal referral through a nearby AIDS Service Organization or legal services agency.

If not, it will be difficult to know what information she was looking for and whether or not it was personal information about you.

Finally, I should caution you. If you are keeping your HIV status private at work, then telling ANY of your coworkers weakens any case you might bring against your employer plus it increases the chances that the information is going to spread through the workplace.

Good luck, Jacques

HIV?
is a job pre-placement health history legal?