Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

New job with new company - health insurance question
May 27, 2014

I'm considering a new job with a new company. With my current employer, I've met my total out of pocket. So, any future medical or prescription expense will be covered 100% by my current employer. If I change jobs, what happens? I assume I'll enroll in the new company's insurance. Will my out of pocket start back to $0? Are there any other aspects should I considering regarding health insurance if I change employers? I'm assume new company's insurance is similar to my current employer. Thanks.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Changing jobs can be tricky for someone dealing with a chronic condition. To answer your first question, yes, if you change insurance plans and carriers, your benefits start again from 0 which means you will have to start over on meeting your deductible as well as the out-of-pocket limit.

In the past, if you happened to switch to an employer whose insurance was with the same carrier as your prior plan, sometimes they would allow transfers of accumulated benefits. However, it is my understanding that is no longer done.

You state you assume the new employer's insurance is similar to your current coverage. I don't believe you should assume that; you need to know for sure whether the new employer even offers health insurance and, if so, what the coverage is.

In the interview process you want to go beyond just discussing the pay. Ask about all the benefits. To avoid raising any suspicions, ask about the life insurance, disability insurance, retirement package, education assistance, parking privileges, and, oh yes, what is your health insurance like?

A thoughtful interviewer will appreciate that you are looking beyond just the paycheck. Also, the interviews are not just for them to learn about you, but this is your chance to find out what type of company this would be to work for.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
sore throat after agressive oral sex
Next
hep A IGg is reactive 4.25

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.