Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I afford to work?
May 12, 2014

I was diagnosed with Aids Jan 2014, cd4 count of 79, and O.I.'s. I was put on medicaid and began treatment right away. I'm feeling better, but now I'm worried if I go to work, I will lose my medicaid. Even if I get a job with insurance, I won't make enough to cover deductibles or co-pays for my meds. I don't make much money when I'm working, but can just get by without paying for meds. It seems like either I go homeless and don't work to get excellent medical, or go to work and maybe miss some meds. I'm sure I will goto work as I always have. PS thank you Obamacare for the excellent treatment!

Response from Mr. Chambers

First, check to see if your state offers a Medicaid Working Disabled Program. If so, you will be able to do some work and keep your Medicaid.

If you should lose your Medicaid, that creates a Special Enrollment Period when you can sign up for health insurance. If your income is fairly low, there are subsidies to assist with paying the insurance premium as well as some to help with meeting copays and co-insurance.

Finally, I don't know what Opportunistic Infections you had, but they may help you qualify for either Social Security Disability or SSI, if you are unable to work.

Good luck, Jacques Good luck,

Previous
blood in food
Next
I was selected by well reputated MNC of Clinical Research in new delhi, India

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.