Help

How do I get started to get life insurance for someone who has HIV

Response from Mr. Chambers

Almost all life insurance policies ask medical questions about medication, health history, etc. Those policies will not accept an HIV+ person for coverage. I should caution that if you "lie" on the application, they have the right to void the contract and return the premium once they learn that the policy was issued fraudulently.

There are two alternatives I am aware of. One is group life from an employer or union since there is rarely any medical underwriting.

Also, for persons over age 50 (age 40 in some states), there are Graded Benefit life policies. They don't ask any health questions at all. If, however, you die in the first two years, they only pay the premium you paid in plus interest to the beneficiary. The full face amount is available after you've had the policy for two years. These policies are rarely available in amounts above $25,000.

Be careful of and read carefully any offers from credit cards, department stores, etc. Many of the "wonderful" coverage they offer is Accident Only coverage.

Good luck, Jacques

Peace Corps Volunteer
last stage