Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Peace Corps Volunteer
May 1, 2014

I'm currently on SSDI due to HIV. I'm thinking about applying to be a volunteer with the Peace Corps. The position is teaching English as a Second Language in Eastern Europe. How would being a Peace Corps Volunteer effect my SSDI? Financially I'm likely to remain within the $770 allowable income and otherwise I could transition into the Ticket to Work program. What do you think?

Response from Mr. Chambers

That sounds like an awfully ambitious goal for a person whom Social Security deems unable to work.

Let's deal first with the compensation. Are you sure the living/housing allowance will be below $770/month, which is the level at which Social Security considers your work to be in a Trial Work month. There are only nine of those, after which your earnings must remain below $1,070 per month. Note that those numbers change with inflation every January 1. All forms of remuneration including housing, food, etc. would be considered as earnings, despite being labelled a "volunteer".

Second, have you discussed your status as a disabled person with the Peace Corps? While they cannot discriminate against you for disabilities, they do have the right to ask if you are physically and mentally able to do the job and decline you if you are not. You should confirm with them whether they would accept you as a volunteer, given your disabled status.

Medicare is no good outside the US, but the Peace Corps does provide medical and dental benefits. You need to make sure you will have access to your medications.

Finally, are you sure this is something you could do for the 27 months the volunteer period normally lasts? What will be the hours each day you are expected to work?

I think you have an ambitious and admirable goal, but I am concerned about the impact on your health and whether or not this is even possible.

I am also concerned that if Social Security conducts a Continuing Disability Review, your status as a (supposed) full-time volunteer would cause them to terminate your benefits, both SSD and Medicare.

I encourage you to talk to the Peace Corps and see what they say. This is also something you definitely should discuss with your physician.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
are opportunistic infections a reality working as a vet assisyant?
Next
Help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.