Should I keep my private insurance?

I have had Blue Cross of Ca since the early 1980's, I was not working by choice until 2008 when I found something I liked to do. I am currently paying $895 a month for insurance I do not use due to my excellent coverage with my current employer. My question is, I don't want to work until I am 67, I am currently 51, very healthy & undetectable. I am planning retiring again at around age 60. Should I keep paying for my private insurance? I am scared of the unknown, if something happens to me medically & I can't work I don't want to be screwed with no health coverage. What should I do?

Response from Mr. Chambers

That would have been a much more difficult question before 2014 arrived. Now, however, if you lose your employer coverage, you become eligible to purchase individual health insurance regardless of your medical condition under Obamacare.

If you are worried that the coverage won't be as good as your private policy, check out the plans available under Obamacare to see how they compare.

I know in the past, the availability of health insurance has been a major factor in employment and getting health insurance while you remain healthy. That is no longer the case.

PS: COBRA continuation remains available which would continue your employer's coverage for 18 months.

Good luck, Jacques

Applying for job
worried