Relocating from Europe to the USA - problems?

Dear Mr Chambers, I am Scandinavian and may have the opportunity to join the Manhattan office of a large European firm later this year (mid level professional position). I am 41 years old and doing very well on Atripla (undetectable, CD4s around 700) - had some cell changes (AIN2/3) a few years back, but that seems to have been sorted with Aldara and laser. I currently receive free - and excellent - public healthcare in my home country. I really want to take the adventure of moving to New York, but I am worried if I am asking for trouble in relation to healthcare costs and insurance? In short, am I? Your thoughts are valuable to me, as both a positive or negative reply will be beneficial in sorting out my options. Thank you in advance!

Response from Mr. Chambers

My first question would be whether your employer will be offering you US health insurance. If so, you will almost definitely have access to the medications and care you need.

How much you will have to pay depends on the health insurance plan and whether your income will be low enough to qualify for the AIDS Drug Assistance Plan (ADAP) which pays for AIDS meds what the insurance doesn't cover and assists with health insurance premiums. This site will give you more information on that program.

on that program.

You may also want to contact an AIDS Service Organizations in New York as each state's ADAP program is slightly different.

If health insurance is not provided by your employer, as a legal resident of the US you will be eligible to enroll in a plan under the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).

Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).

I hope it works out for you. Good luck. Jacques

Physcians paid to decline clients from SSI
Applying for job