stribild and medicare

I was diagnosed last year at age 66 with HIV and have been taking stribild for 9 months. It has been a miracle for me, no side effects. I got a card from Gilead which paid my copay and I paid nothing through my employee insurance. I am retiring and when I was checking about medicare, I found out this drug will cost me 1000 bucks a month, which has put me into a anxiety, panic,crying jags, suicidal ideation. Is there any help? I feel alone and scared and wont see my doctor for three weeks. I have a few months before I retire.

Response from Mr. Chambers

There probably is some help for you so try not to be too stressed out. The more you learn about this, the better you will feel.

First, see if Gilead will extend their patient assistance program for you.

Second, did you run the program to find at drug plan at www.medicare.gov www.medicare.gov

I don't know what state you live in, but most offer several different prescription drug plans and the coverage as well as the cost will vary by plan. Make sure your estimate of $1,000 per month out-of-pocket is accurate.

Again, based on which state you live in, you may still be eligible for the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) in your state. It is income based, and you will want to check to make sure stribild is also on the ADAP formulary.

Hopefully, one of those alternatives will give you the financial support you need to stay on that regimen.

Good luck, Jacques

Best Marketplace plan for young adult?
The cost of HIV meds under the ACA