Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

So I want to be a Nurse
Mar 13, 2014

I'm a middle-aged HIV positive male who wants to be a nurse. Specifically, I want to work with HIV positive people and those with mental health issues (depression, bipolar, etc..).

I've been positive for 8-years, and this has been a life long dream. One I put on hold when caught in the grip of depression, after learning my status. That and a lengthy hospital stay really took the wind out of my sails.

At this point in time I'm compliant with meds, healthy, and undetectable w/low viral load.

My question is - am I wasting me time pursuing this further. I've heard that there is prejudice against nurses who have HIV and I may not be able to find work. Yet the thought of working with and educating people in the area of HIV care makes me very happy. I smile every time I think about it. Is it possible, or just a pipe dream?

Response from Mr. Chambers

I congratulate you on what is definitely NOT a pipe dream. If you wish, you should go to school and get your degree.

Yes, there is still discrimination in parts of the country and in some occupations, but that should not deter you. HIV+ people are in virtually all areas of healthcare (with some exceptions in invasive specialties like surgery). But HIV discrimination is generally illegal and can be overcome.

Unfortunately, you may encounter discrimination even attempting to go to school, but that can be overcome as well. Learn the equal employment laws in your state; virtually all prohibit HIV discrimination.

Also, see if there are any legal services agencies that work with HIV+ people. They can give you a better idea of what to expect in your geographical area.

I admire your ambition and encourage you to continue your research to go back to school. I have a former coworker who was out on disability. He went to school and is now a nurse at a major hospital.

Keep in mind also, there is a large nursing shortage and it is growing larger.

Best of luck to you, Jacques

Previous
LTD/SSDI
Next
burning

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.